Food Wrappers and Containers
Changes in your community's attitude towards litter starts with YOU. A little commitment on your part can go a long way. If you just keep your yard and the street around your yard clean it helps. Then if you take your attitude change and multiply it by everyone you know then you have had a huge impact on the accumulation of litter and its impact on your community.
TYPES OF LITTER IN OUR COMMUNITY
WHERE DO PEOPLE LITTER
- Special events (fairs, carnivals, concerts and meetings.
- Roadways and highways as well as on/off ramps and roadway median strips have increasingly become the target of litter.
- High traffic and everyday locations are fast food businesses and deli's, convenience stores, picnic grounds, park benches and other high pedestrian traffic areas.
- The entrance to a public building, an office, a retail establishment, a train platform or bus stop.
- Sports gatherings (football, baseball, basketball, etc.)
HOW WE CAN PREVENT LITTERING
- Identify littering sites in your community.
- Through you local officials maintain enough litter containers for the sites.
- Post non-littering signs and warnings.
-Enforce litter laws that are on the books or pass laws to keep you community litter free.
- Educate everyone through all means available to the consequences for them personally, the community, state and ultimately the nation.
- Involve everyone in the anti-litter eforts.
REPORTING LITTERING 1-888-LIT-R-BUG (1-888-548-7284)
WHY DO PEOPLE LITTER
- No personal ownership of litter sites.
- Feeling that it is someone eles's responsibility to keep areas clean.
- The Casual and careless handling of waste materials.
- Lack of receptacles or containers to hold litter items.
- Other litter already at the site of disposal.
- Lack of pride in one's surroundings.
- Personal convenience.